Sunday, February 20, 2011

Basketball Season Ends

Sadly there are no pictures to post this time but we end this basketball season wishing it didn't have to end! My crew played their hearts out all season.



Gracie---look out is all I have to say. This kid has got it together. She understands how the game is played, she's aggressive, she's poised, she's determined, she's smart, and she wants it! All the perfect attributes of a basketball player. With each game she got better and better. It was so much fun to watch her. She would get steal after steal and run down and score at will. She's just good! I know next year it'll be harder when she moves up, but, I know she'll succeed.

And yes I coached all 3 this season. It sounds easy but it's really not easy to coach your own kids. You have to have that balance where you focus on everyone, and not just your kid. You have to be fair and not 'pick' on your kid for not doing it better. It's hard! You see the potential but you have to guide them ever so carefully to keep them confident and having fun! I'd say it was a success this season.



Cade---- the fastest, quickest kid I know of any age, and I mean that! Sure there are quick kids even 9-10 years old, but I think Cade is quicker. This kid doesn't know how quick and fast he is. And he wants it bad too. He's not quite as poised as Gracie b/c she's not as fast. So he has a little work to do on his shot, b/c he often bangs it too hard against the backboard. He'll get it though. And he's in the driveway playing about every chance he gets.



Halle---probably the most improved player this season! She started the season off very passive, not aggressive at all, would watch things blow right by her, and frankly just make bad choices! It killed me as her coach, and her momma. I would try so hard to explain every chance I got. She's such a coachable kid...she listens, she takes it in, but she's not aggressive, or shall I say wasn't! I can remember the first half of the season she'd make a bad pass and turn straight around to head down the court and stare right at me as if to say "ok mom, sorry, help." It broke my heart. But about 2 games ago a light bulb went off....it was actually in practice. All of a sudden she scored and something hit her and she got it. She started rebounding, and actually trying to shoot and score. She's always been a good ball handler and a good passer, but she never tried to score....well that has ended my friends. She scored 4 points in her last game and I literally jumped off the bench and threw my arms up to cheer her on! She was so proud, but I was more proud, that I am sure!



So we close this season on a positive note and now begin the spring season. Cade will be play coach-pitch baseball, Gracie will player soccer, and Halle will play volleyball. She's never played before but I love her for wanting to try new things! Sports was a huge part of our lives growing up and it builds character, I truly believe that....you learn to work with others, you learn to be committed, you learn about work ethic, you learn about winning and losing. They will always have my support no matter what they choose to play or not play!

No comments:

Post a Comment