Monday, April 26, 2010

Gymnastics Galore!

Gymnastics……it has all come full circle. I competed when I was young, and I was pretty good. I have lots of medals, trophies, uniforms, and pictures as evidence to show my competitive childhood. And now my 2 girls have taken on the sport. Halle truly loves it. She will show off her splits, or back handsprings and I’ll joke and say “I paid a lot of money for this split.” It is a joke, but it is true….I DO pay a lot of money for this extra-curricular activity. She spends hours making up routines and then poor Gracie has to perform. Ha! Usually Halle creates the routine as a duo routine and they perform them together. It is so fun to watch. And although I didn’t have a sister to do this with, I would use my neighborhood friends as my guinea pigs. Gracie has no fear and has come a long way just this year. But it’s funny how different they are. Halle is more flexible and dancer-like in her moves and gracie is more powerful and not really that flexible. I’m not sure if we’ll get into competing or not. I haven’t encouraged it yet b/c I think they are still so young and there are too many other fun things to enjoy right now. But, I would never keep them from enjoying their passion if that’s what they choose. So I guess time will tell.
Halle and her sweet friend Catherine!
This weekend they competed against kids in their age group and they both did great! Gracie won 1st place in the all around category and Halle won 2nd. Then they each won first place in different events...Halle 1st on floor and bars, and 2nd on beam. Then Gracie won't 1st on each event...she rocked! I was really so proud of both of them for different reasons. Halle's age group was much more competitive and the way she really focused and came through was really fun to watch. Gracie had never done anything like this before so I was really proud of her for just going out there and performing by herself and doing such a great job!
This weekend Halle will run another 5k for the Girls on the Run program and then May 8 she'll do another kids triathlon. She said the other day, "Mom, I just want to be athletic." She's so funny!








No comments:

Post a Comment